• There are so many surf schools to choose from, why choose Kool Katz?
Here are the TOP reasons why ....
1. Kool Katz is owned and operated by Byron Bay's original and best surf tour operator, Terry Hannon. Tezza has years of hands-on experience as a beginner surf instructor and surf tour operator.
2. Kool Katz delivers a world exclusive surfing guarantee: 'Stand and ride a wave for 40 metres or your money back!'
3. Kool Katz is $16 cheaper than other surf schools - we're just competitive at what we do!
4. Kool Katz has the biggest range of surfboard sizes of any other Byron surf school allowing us to match you more easily to the equipment that you require.
5. Kool Katz surfs in uncrowded waves south of the busy bustle of Byron Bay. With Kool Katz you enjoy privileged access to Lennox National Surfing Reserve, one of only 4 nationally declared surfing reserves in New South Wales. You also enjoy access to Shaw's Bay, Ballina, considered by many in the know as having some of the best and safest learning waves on the east coast of Australia.
5. Kool Katz is the LONELY PLANET guide RECOMMENDED company for BYRON. Terry was featured in their documentary film Beaches of the World.
• Do you operate daily?
Yes, usually once daily starting from Byron Bay somewhere between 9.15am for a morning session and 2.15pm for the afternoon session. The times depend on swell and tide on any given day. See our homepage for each days pick up times or call us.
• Do you provide transport?
Yes we pick UP and drop OFF from your accommodation around Byron Bay. This is included in the price.
• How long is the tour?
Each tour is usually 4 hours in duration but we can be flexible in cases where it's a bucks or hens or special group tour. The tour includes some travel time each way, 30 minutes instruction on the sand and 2 hours water time during which the instructors work individually with you to ensure our surfing guarantee is met.
• What time do you drop back at accommodation at Byron Bay?
Allow 4 hours from pick up and drop off. Pick ups depend on tide and swell. We post these on our homepage
• What do we provide? What do you bring?
Kool Katz provide long and short wetsuits, rash vest and soft surfboards. You bring swimmers, towel, sunscreen and drinking water. Leave your valuables at home.
• What level of fitness or experience must I have to participate?
We cater for absolute beginners, people who have never surfed before. We work in waist deep water and surf in small waves of about 1ft. Minimal swimming fitness is required, but 50m swimming competency is recommended.
• Should beginner surfers expect to stand up on their first surf lesson?
Yes, yes, yes! At Kool Katz Learn to Surf in Byron Bay, we guarantee you will ride a wave over a distance of 40 metres. It's actually a world exclusive surfing guarantee that you'll be offered nowhere else, by no-one else. We are learn-to- surf experts and we say you CAN ride a wave over what is nearly the length of an Olympic sized swimming pool. Some of you will ride waves even longer! Lots of people don't expect to stand up and some will sign up for a surf lesson with the intent of ``having fun''. Some people tell us they stood up on a surf lesson before, but admit it was only for 2 seconds. That is a great feeling, but the amazing buzz you get from riding a wave comes from achieving measured success … 40 metres at least ... over and over on the first lesson … now that's ``having fun''.
• When is Kool Katz closed for business?
We operate all year round with the exceptions of Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Days.
• What ages do you specify for children?
We take 6-year-olds and up. Children under 12 years must be accompanied by an adult (paying customer or non-paying customer with swimmers and be prepared to get wet). Children under 18 must have a parent or guardian sign a waiver.
• Do you have kids' classes?
No, not specifically. Kids join our group surf lesson, but we assign kids under 12 with their own instructor, and surf them closer to shore, ensuring they get plenty of one-on-one attention in a safe surfing environment.
• What is the child or concession rate price?
No differentiation in pricing. One price for all.
• What is your cancellation policy?
After booking online you will recieve an email asking you to confirm your booking which will direct you back to the Kool Katz website.
After confirming your booking, you will be given the option of how you would like to pay for your booking. You can choose to pay later, via eWAY or PayPal using a credit card or account. You also have the option to pay the money into our bank acount in Byron Bay. If you pay using eWAY/Paypal, we will normally confirm receipt of your booking within a few minutes of ordering and you will recieve an email with instructions on what to do next. Anytime you wish to speak with us regarding your booking please contact us at TerryHannon@y7mail.com or call Terry on +61 419 207 965.
KOOL KATZ reserves the right to withdraw unpaid bookings and to cancel trips at our discretion.
If you want to cancel... In special circumstances like genuine ill health, for example, you will need to show us a Doctor's Certificate. We will either issue a refund or reschedule your lesson if convenient. If it's raining, you are going to get wet anyway so we don't cancel for inclement weather. We are not unreasonable but please show us and everyone else looking for a surf lesson, the same respect we've shown you. A hangover from too much partying the night before is not really a good excuse to cancel. We would much rather you DO NOT BOOK unless you are sure you will follow through so others don't miss out.
100% cancellation fee will be charged for no shows or cancellations with less than 24 hours notice. Kool Katz does not cancel for inclement weather. In case of a tour being cancelled by the operator for extreme weather circumstances, the tour will be re-scheduled or a full refund will be given. Multi-day courses cancelled in whole or part by the client with less than 24 hours of the course start date will not be eligible for a refund in whole or part.
Thankyou for understanding!